BURIEN PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
Residents of Burien are not immune from the terrible effects of a personal injury accident. Being struck while riding your bike, slipping and falling while at the store, or being hit by a car while walking in your neighborhood can cause you to suffer serious physical injuries and emotional trauma that can take months – if not years – to heal. While you wait for your injuries to heal, you and your family will likely feel the financial pressure of your injuries as you struggle with medical bills, ongoing treatment costs, lost wages, and the need for prescription drugs, assistive devices, and/or mental health treatment or counseling. The Khan Injury Law, PLLC is a Burien personal injury law firm dedicated to helping injury victims in Burien recover financial compensation when their injuries and losses occur because of the careless or reckless conduct of another person. Our experienced and knowledgeable legal team is ready to guide you through every stage of the recovery process and will fight aggressively on your behalf for the monetary damages you need to assist you in your recovery.
COMPENSABLE LOSSES AND EXPENSES FOLLOWING A PERSONAL INJURY ACCIDENT IN BURIEN
Personal injury victims can suffer a multitude of losses and expenses as a result of their injury accident. In some cases, the expenses and losses connected with a personal injury accident may continue to accrue long after the injury accident itself. For example, an injury victim who suffers a traumatic brain injury may require ongoing in-home healthcare services for the remainder of his or her life. Similarly, a victim who loses an arm or who suffers serious scarring to his or her face may suffer from the mental trauma of such injuries for as long as the person lives. A personal injury lawsuit seeks to compensate an injury victim not only for the expenses he or she has already incurred as a result of the injury accident but also for those expenses the victim is likely to suffer in the future as well.
Some of the losses and injuries that may be compensable through a Burien personal injury lawsuit include:
- Past medical treatments and therapy as well as medical treatment and therapy that will be reasonably necessary in the future;
- Prescription drug costs and the costs of assistive devices like crutches, wheelchairs, and other medical devices;
- Counseling fees (if the victim is claiming he or she requires psychotherapy to assist in overcoming the mental trauma associated with his or her injuries);
- Lost wages due to time the injury victim must miss from work to recover from his or her injuries and to attend doctors’ appointments and therapy sessions;
- Lost future earnings, if the victim will not be able to return to full-time employment or must accept a lower-earning job due to disabilities or limitations connected to his or her injuries; and/or
- Compensatory damages for mental pain, anguish, and suffering.
In addition, punitive damages may be available in some cases where the person responsible for causing the victim’s injuries acted deliberately and intentionally in causing the victim’s injuries. Punitive damages are not considered compensatory damages because they are not meant to reimburse the victim for his or her expenses; instead, punitive damages are meant to dissuade the wrongdoer and others from engaging in such behavior in the future.
At the Khan Injury Law, PLLC, we are committed to helping our Burien personal injury clients recover the maximum amount of compensation possible for their injuries. We understand it can be difficult to focus on your physical health and recovery if you are concerned about the financial costs of your recovery. We devote our energy and resources to your legal recovery and financial compensation award so that you can focus on your health and on pulling your life back together.
PROVING YOUR BURIEN PERSONAL INJURY CASE
As an injury victim, it is your obligation to prove to the court by a preponderance of the evidence (meaning that it is more likely true than not) that another person – the defendant – caused your injuries through careless or reckless behavior. You will typically need to prove the following four elements using witness testimony, photographs, medical records, and other physical evidence:
- The defendant owed you, the injury victim, a legal duty to behave in a certain way. This usually means that the defendant should have behaved in a reasonable and careful manner;
- The defendant’s breach of his or her legal duty caused or contributed to the victim’s injuries; and/or
- The defendant breached his or her legal duty to you by behaving in a careless, reckless, or intentionally harmful manner. If a reasonable person in the same situation as the defendant would have acted in a different manner, then the defendant’s actions are considered negligent;
- The victim’s injuries and losses can be quantified and compensated through a monetary damages award.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
WHEN TO CALL YOUR BURIEN PERSONAL INJURY RECOVERY TEAM
Washington statutes only give injury victims three years within which to seek compensation for their injuries through a lawsuit. For this reason, it is important that you seek out legal help with your personal injury case as soon as possible following your injury accident. When you meet with your personal injury recovery team at the Khan Injury Law, PLLC, we will want to know as many details as possible about the circumstances of your accident, including:
- When and where the accident occurred;
- What happened to cause your injuries;
- Who you believed caused the accident and who may have seen the accident occur;
- What steps you took after the injury accident occurred;
- What medical provider(s) you saw for treatment for your injuries;
If you took any photographs of the accident scene or wrote down any information, we will want to see this too. The more information we have about your accident and injuries, the better advice we can provide you about how you may be able to recover compensation and the steps you will need to complete to do so.
Contact the Khan Injury Law, PLLC, your Burien personal injury legal team, as soon as possible by calling (206) 472-1255 today, or contact our firm online and let us help you navigate the recovery process.
FREE CASE EVALUATION
Best law firm in Seattle!! All the staff is very professional and warm. They were always informative and called us right back.