SEATTLE MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER
While motorcyclists love the feeling of freedom that comes when riding the open road, motorcycles themselves do little to protect riders when motorcycle accidents occur. Injuries sustained in these types of accidents can be severe and life threatening, with the potential to result in permanent disabilities that can impair your ability to provide for yourself and your loved ones. At the Khan Injury Law, our Seattle personal injury attorneys understand the serious impacts that result from motorcycle accidents, and provide the aggressive legal representation accident victims need to get the compensation they deserve.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents
According to the latest statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), as many as 80,000 motorcycle riders and their passengers suffer serious injuries due to crashes and collisions each year, while another 5,000 riders die as the result of their injuries. While research from the NHTSA indicates that driver error and inexperience as well as road and weather conditions can be contributing factors in these accidents, encounters with motorists and other riders are often to blame. Types of motorcycle accidents that can result in serious injuries include the following:
- Impaired driving accidents, caused by motorists under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- Speed-related accidents, and motorists who drive too fast for conditions;
- Distracted driving accidents, involving drivers who use their cellphones or text behind the wheel;
- Accidents resulting from motor vehicle violations, such as running red lights, improper passing, and following too closely.
Common types of injuries that can occur in these types of accidents include head, back, and neck trauma, broken bones and torn muscles, severe lacerations and burns, and internal injuries.
CAUSES OF MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS
According to the NHTSA’s Anatomy of a Motorcycle Accident, motorcycle crashes generally involve some combination of human, vehicular, and environmental factors. Motorcycles lack the protections a motor vehicle affords drivers, while riding on two wheels requires a different set of skills and techniques than riding on four. Environmental conditions such as rain and gravel roads can make it harder to keep control over their bike, while fog and darkness can make riders less visible to drivers. With all of these factors in play, there are several common causes of motorcycle accidents:
These accidents most commonly occur in intersections, and involve a driver hitting directly into the side of another. They can be caused by a driver running a red light or speeding, or as the result if a driver cutting off a motorcyclist when making a turn.
These can occur when a car is tailgating or following too closely, and hits a motorcyclist from behind. They can also occur when a driver slams on their brakes suddenly, causing the motorcyclist behind them to hit into them.
These accidents can occur when a motorcyclist is cut off or in some other way impacted by the behaviors of another driver, causing the motorcyclist to wipe out or collide with an inanimate object, such as a traffic pole or rail. While the vehicle may not suffer damage, they still may be at fault for the accident.
These can occur when a motorist is unfamiliar with their surroundings or under the influence of alcohol and drugs, causing them to swerve into the approaching lane.
These accidents can occur when motorcyclists ride with other enthusiasts, or when being passed by other drivers.
The NHTSA states that, regardless of the cause, any kind of motorcycle accident is a serious event and, in 80 percent of these cases, it is the motorcycle driver who is most likely to suffer injuries.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident
While you can never be entirely prepared for an accident to occur, it is important to be aware of the steps to take in the aftermath of a crash or collision to protect yourself and your right to claim damages for your injuries.The following are important steps to take if you are involved in a traffic accident in Seattle:
- Make sure someone on the scene has notified the police.
- Make a mental note of as many details as you can regarding the accident and the conditions leading up to it.
- Get the appropriate information from other drivers, including contact, insurance, and vehicle registration information.
- Seek medical care immediately for any injuries you suffer and follow all instructions from your doctor.
- Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Contact an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer before making any statements to your insurance claims representative or accepting any settlement offers.
Your behavior in the aftermath of an accident can have a serious impact on your ability to get compensation. Follow your doctor’s instructions, and do not discuss your accident with anyone or admit any liability. Statements you make at this time can and will be used against you by the insurance company to dispute or even deny your claim.
WE KNOW HOW TO RECOVER DAMAGES
How an Attorney Can Help You Recover Damages
Motorcycle accidents often result in injuries that have long lasting impacts on every area of your life. You may require ongoing medical care and treatment as well as physical rehabilitation, while your injuries may prevent you from working both now and in the future. In addition to the medical and financial ramifications, your family and personal life may suffer and you may find yourself unable to engage in hobbies, interests, and activities you once enjoyed. When you have suffered these types of serious and potentially long ranging damages, you need the assistance of a qualified legal professional. Ways in which our experienced Seattle motorcycle accident attorneys can assist you in getting the compensation you are entitled to in a motorcycle accident include the following:
- Negotiating with the at fault driver and their insurer to ensure your claim is approved and that you get the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to for the damages you have suffered.
- Providing a thorough investigation at the scene of the accident, obtaining police reports and witness statements that support your version of events;
- Collecting statements from your employer as to the impact your injuries have had on your ability to work or perform tasks associated with your job;
- Obtaining medical records and statements from your medical providers regarding the extent of your injuries and your prognosis for recovery;
- Gathering hospital and medical bills and receipts that show the total amount of medical expenses that have accumulated thus far, as well as estimated costs for your medical care and rehabilitation in the future.
In the event your claim is denied or an acceptable settlement cannot be reached, our attorneys may be able to assist you filing a personal injury lawsuit in court for damages including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
When you are dealing with potentially severe injuries that have the potential to have long ranging impacts on your health and well-being, get the aggressive legal representation you need to ensure your rights and interests are protected. At the Khan Injury Law, our Seattle motorcycle accident lawyers provide the help you need when you need it the most, assisting you in getting the compensation you need to recover. Call or contact our office online today to schedule a free review of your case.
FREE CASE EVALUATION
Best law firm in Seattle!! All the staff is very professional and warm. They were always informative and called us right back.