Belfast, WA Car Accident Attorney
Belfast, Washington may be so small that it doesn’t even have a Wikipedia page, but it does have a few relics of the former town — including an old home off the side of the old highway 99 — as well as the Belfast feed store. While the town may be small and without much left standing to designate it as such, car accidents can and do happen within the boundaries of Belfast. If you have been in a car accident in Belfast, our Belfast car accident attorneys at the office of the Khan Injury Law PLLC can support you. Call us today to learn more about how we can help.
Why Work with a Belfast Car Accident Attorney?
If you have been seriously injured in a car accident that occurred in Belfast, or if you are a Belfast resident, working with an experienced car accident attorney is a wise choice. An attorney can support you in the following ways —
- Help you to understand your options. After a crash, it can be confusing to understand what your options are, who will pay for your damages, what you’re entitled to, and how to proceed. One of the most valuable reasons to work with a car accident lawyer is simply that an attorney can lay out all of your options for you in a way that’s understandable and clear.
- Investigate your crash. When you file a claim, you’ll need to provide evidence of how the crash occurred, who’s at fault, and that the crash was the proximate cause of your damages. Gathering this evidence solo, especially as you recover from injuries, can be extremely trying for a person to do. An attorney will handle the investigation of your crash, including the hiring of any experts who can contribute to your claim, such as accident reconstruction experts.
- Represent you in conversations with the insurance adjuster. After you file a claim, you can be sure that the insurance adjuster assigned to your claim will have a lot of questions. These questions can be intimidating and, unfortunately, what you say could be used against you. Your attorney can represent you during all interactions with the insurance adjuster.
- Negotiate your case. After evidence has been gathered and a demand letter has been issued (which your attorney will manage), you will likely be offered a settlement. If this settlement isn’t fair and doesn’t fully compensate you, your attorney can enter into negotiations. Working with an attorney may improve the outcome of your case and increase the value of the settlement you receive.
What Steps to Take Post-Crash
You may have been in another vehicle, on a motorcycle or a bike, or you may have just been walking down the street. Regardless of your mode of transportation at the time you were hit, there are a few crucial steps you can take after that will help you file a claim with the insurance company.
- Get the other parties insurance information – Having the other party’s insurance information will allow you to file a claim for damages with them. If the driver was not the owner of the vehicle, you will want to get the vehicle owner’s insurance information. If the driver fled the scene, write down anything you can remember such as license plate number, vehicle make and model, vehicle color, or what the driver looked like.
- Document the accident – If the police are called they will do their own investigation. For your purposes it is valuable to have pictures of the damage done from the crash, statements from any witnesses, and notes of any details you may forget later.
- Seek medical care for any injuries – You may disregard small injuries like a painful spot you assume will just be a bruise. However, a bruise could be a sign of more serious internal bleeding. Since some injuries are less obvious or have a delayed onset, it is important to seek medical care. This will provide documentation and, if you get care right after the collision, it will be proof that the injuries have were not developed at a later date.
- Inform your insurance company – You may need to file a claim with your own insurance company if the crash was a hit-and-run or if the other driver was underinsured. Regardless, it is important to inform them so that you don’t risk losing compensation later.
- Contact an attorney – Having legal representation is important after a car collision, especially if you are recovering from injuries. We can help collect medical information, gather evidence to support the total value of your claim, negotiate with the insurance adjusters, and if necessary, file a lawsuit on your behalf.
Get Help from a Trusted Belfast Car Accident Attorney
We know that after you’ve been in a car accident, you have a lot on the line. If you are suffering economic and noneconomic damages, are unsure of where to turn, are dealing with unscrupulous insurance adjusters, or haven’t been offered the settlement you deserve, our Belfast car accident lawyers at the Khan Injury Law PLLC are here to support you. To learn more and to schedule your free consultation, call our law firm directly or send us a message at your convenience.
Who Is the Liable Party?
Initially, you and the other party may be in shock from a crash and treat it as a pure accident. However, almost all crashes are caused by negligence on one party’s behalf. For instance, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that 17 percent of all crashes were due to distracted driving. Other common causes of collisions are speeding, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, running red lights, or other variations of reckless driving.
In some instances, it may be discovered that both parties were at fault for causing a crash. For instance: Driver A is on his cell phone, distracted, and drifts out of his lane of traffic, overcorrects, and runs into Driver B, who was originally behind Driver A. However, it was found that Driver B was tailgating Driver A and would not have been hit if she was the proper distance back. In this scenario, Driver A, the one who swerved out of the lane of traffic, may be found 60 percent at fault, while Driver B was found 40 percent at fault. Driver B would still be able to file a claim or lawsuit against Driver A, because he was the one that had the highest level of fault in causing the crash, but Driver B would only be able to collect 40 percent of the damages that would have otherwise been available to her. It is important to prove that you were not at fault at all in order to avoid limiting the damages you are allowed to receive.
We Know How to Recover Damages
Contact Our Seattle Car Accident Lawyers to Learn How We Can Help You
If you were injured in a car collision, we urge you to reach out to a lawyer today. We have the experience to represent you against ruthless insurance companies to ensure you get the best outcome possible. Contact the Belfast, WA car accident lawyers with the Khan Injury Law today for help.