Everett Car Accident Lawyer
A car accident can strike at any time. Maybe you were pulling out of the grocery store parking lot when someone rear ended you, or possibly you were sideswiped while travelling down the highway. Regardless of how the accident happens, you are probably shaken up and unsure of what steps to take next.
In Washington, injured motorists can receive compensation when someone else is responsible for the collision. But you will probably need an Everett, WA car accident lawyer to help you fully realize the maximum amount of compensation possible.
Car accident injuries
Some car accidents are so minor that motorists emerge unscathed. Others, however, suffer serious injuries that leave them in considerable pain and often unable to return to work. At our firm, we have had clients suffering from the following injuries:
- Contusions. These deep bruises can put pressure on nearby nerves, causing constant pain and possible permanent nerve damage.
- Cuts, scrapes, and lacerations. Although cuts can usually heal on their own, they might become infected and they often leave behind unsightly scars.
- Whiplash. The forward-and-backward rocking motion caused by a car accident can stretch and tear ligaments in the neck, leading to constant headaches and neck stiffness. This is whiplash.
- Burns. If the gas tank is punctured, the car could catch on fire. Motorists can suffer first-, second-, or third-degree burns. They can also be burned if splashed with battery acid.
- Back injuries. Tendons, ligaments, and muscles in the back can become strained or sprained, leading to immobility. The vertebrae that surround the spinal cord can also fracture, leaving a victim in considerable pain.
- Fractures. Bones anywhere in the body can break. A simple fracture can be set with a cast, but more complicated fractures might require surgery.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). Any force that shakes the head can cause the brain’s signals to change, leading to behavioral changes, confusion, impaired mobility and coordination, or difficulty with speech or memory. Moderate and severe TBIs can require months or more of rehabilitation to relearn basic skills.
- Spinal cord injuries. Any stretching, bruising, tearing, or shredding of the spinal cord can cause temporary or permanent loss of mobility and sensation. When the spinal cord is torn completely, then the victim is typically paralyzed from that point down.
Receive prompt medical treatment at the closest hospital. Realize that some symptoms take a day or two to develop, so seek out medical care as soon as you realize something is wrong.
Legitimate Reasons For A Denial
Washington is a comparative fault state. This means that anyone whose negligence contributed to the accident could be responsible for paying compensation (called “damages”) to those they injure. In order to receive a settlement, you will need to show that someone’s negligence contributed to the accident and your injuries.
Negligence can take many forms, including:
- Driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs, including prescription drugs
- Distracted driving
- Driving while text messaging or reading email
- Failing to obey traffic signals or signs
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions
- Passing illegally
- Failing to use mirrors properly
Finding proof of negligence can be tricky, especially if the other driver denies doing anything wrong. In that case, accident victims usually need the help of an attorney who can search for evidence of wrongdoing.
For example, as part of our investigation, we can:
- Review the police report
- Interview witnesses to determine what they saw
- Ask the other driver questions which he or she must answer under oath
- Visit the scene of the accident to look for clues
- Inspect the vehicles involved in the crash
- Track down cell phone records to check whether the other driver was on the phone when the accident occurred
- Find surveillance video which might have captured the crash
Once we have found sufficient evidence of the other driver’s negligence, we can argue that you are entitled to compensation in a settlement.
Our clients should not have to suffer the financial fallout from a car accident—especially when another Everett driver is to blame. Instead, the driver who caused the accident should have the bear the financial consequences by paying compensation for the following:
- Medical care to treat our client’s injuries
- Lost wages, if the car accident prevented our client from returning to work
- Property damage for damage to the vehicles and other personal property
- Pain and suffering
The total compensation one of our clients can receive depends on the details of the collision, including how much money they have lost as a result of the crash. In case you are wondering, there is no “average” compensation since everything depends on the facts of your case.
We Are Here To Help
What Not to Do After an Accident
Over and over, we have seen motorists make simple mistakes in the hours and days following a collision that cost them money. They make simple mistakes that ultimately hamper their ability to get the most favorable settlement they are entitled to.
To protect your rights, avoid the following:
- Never accept responsibility for the accident. If you do, you will reduce the amount of compensation you receive. Instead, let the insurance adjuster find evidence of who caused the crash.
- Avoid trying to self-diagnose your injuries. Go to the doctor quickly to receive necessary medical attention. Failing to take your injuries seriously is another reason people receive less money than they otherwise would.
- Do not immediately have your car fixed. Your car might yield clues about how the accident unfolded. You’ll lose this evidence if you quickly take your car to the shop.
- Don’t negotiate with an insurance company by yourself. They are skilled at getting injured people to accept far less money than they are entitled to, and chances are you will be leaving money on the table.
We Know How To Recover Damages
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney in Everett, WA
At the Khan Injury Law, we have represented many motorists in car accident disputes, and we have established an impressive track record of success. If you have been injured in a crash, realize that you are not alone. Seasoned legal representation is only a phone call away.