Fort Lewis, WA Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident, you need the steady guidance that only an experienced Fort Lewis car accident lawyer can provide. At Khan Injury Law, we make it our business to fight for maximum compensation for our clients when they are not at fault for a crash. Please get in touch with our office to schedule a free consultation to learn more about your rights.
Car Accident & Fault
Washington is a fault state. This means that the driver who is to blame for the accident must pay compensation to any injured victims. In a no-fault state, a driver uses their no-fault personal injury protection insurance benefits. In Washington, by contrast, drivers carry liability insurance for accidents.
Examples of fault include any negligent behavior, which means the failure to exercise sufficient care when driving. A motorist could be negligent when they:
- Drive while distracted
- Use a cell phone while driving
- Eat while behind the wheel of a moving vehicle
- Fail to use a turn signal
- Refuse to yield
- Fail to use their mirrors when backing up
Other motorists engage in reckless conduct, such as tailgating, passing illegally, swerving, and speeding. Reckless conduct also renders a motorist at fault.
Washington Recognizes Contributory Fault
Sometimes, our clients also made an error while driving that contributed to their accident and injuries. However, Washington law still allows them to bring a lawsuit for compensation so long as another driver is at least partly to blame.
Under our contributory fault law, any compensation our clients receive gets reduced by their percentage of fault. If a client qualifies for $100,000 in compensation but is 60% to blame, then the maximum they can receive is $40,000.
Please let an attorney review the sequence of events that led up to the accident. At Khan Law, we will strive to minimize any errors or carelessness so that you can receive as much compensation as possible.
A Strong Insurance Claim Requires Evidence
Most cases settle without ever needing to go to trial. However, our clients need to obtain helpful information at the scene of the accident to really bolster their case. After a wreck, we recommend that people take the following measures:
- Obtain the other driver’s insurance information and personal information such as address, phone number, and driver’s license number.
- Get the names of all witnesses to the accident. These can include passengers in vehicles or those who are in vehicles not involved in the crash.
- Call the police to report the accident. An officer can visit the scene to draft a police report.
- Take pictures of damage to all vehicles involved. Walk around and use your smartphone. You want some record of just how damaged a vehicle was in the moments after a crash.
- Take pictures of any debris in the road, such as torn off bumpers or shattered glass. Get pictures of skid marks, also, which can show the defensive measures a driver took.
- Go immediately to the hospital following an accident and tell the doctor about any pains you are feeling. Prompt medical attention creates a paper trail that fully documents your injuries and their severity.
This evidence is very helpful for understanding how an accident unfolded as well as the severity of damage. Without it, an insurance adjuster might deny your claim or try to minimize the amount of money paid out.
Why a Lawyer is a Big Asset
We encourage all accident victims to hire their own attorney following a crash. A lawyer is not a wasted expense. Instead, he or she can help your claim enormously.
For example, our Fort Lewis car accident lawyers will handle all communications with insurance adjusters, who are often fishing for evidence to use to deny a claim. By having a lawyer handle all communications, we can ensure that you say nothing that you later regret.
We can also negotiate aggressively for our clients. Typically, we can obtain compensation to cover the cost of your medical care and any lost wages. We will also try to get money to compensate you for the pain and suffering you feel, which could be immense, depending on the injuries.
Proudly Representing Military Families in Fort Lewis
In the days following a car crash, the entire world can feel as if it is spinning out of control. Let us help. Khan Injury Law is prepared to do whatever it takes to obtain compensation for our clients. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with our firm.