Puyallup Car Accident Lawyer
Home to the Washington State Fair, Puyallup is a small community of approximately 38, 670 located in Pierce County near Seattle and Tacoma. Although some residents may feel that they are able to leave the problems of the “big city” behind by living and/or working in a smaller community, some problems such as traffic injury collisions and fatality crashes exist in Puyallup. According to records maintained by the Washington State Patrol (the agency responsible for maintaining records on crashes that occur throughout the State of Washington), over 2,000 of Pierce County’s nearly 14,000 traffic wrecks in 2015 occurred in Puyallup alone.
If you live and work in Puyallup, you too may find yourself involved in a serious car wreck. When this occurs, trust the experienced Puyallup car crash attorneys at Khan Injury Law, PLLC to help you and your family obtain the monetary compensation you need to address the costs and expenses you incur. Contact Khan Injury Law, PLLC right away to begin the legal recovery process.
Injuries that Can Result From a Puyallup Car Crash
Car crashes can result in one or more fatalities when the crash occurs at high speed and/or one or more people involved are not wearing their seatbelts. Head injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and/or severe cuts and lacerations inflicted in a car crash can cause a driver or passenger to die. However, serious, non-fatal injuries can also result from a car crash. These injuries can include:
- Traumatic brain injuries, some of which can result in permanent disabilities;
- Head injuries;
- Neck, spine, and spinal cord injuries that can result in temporary or permanent paralysis;
- Broken ribs and bones that can prevent you from returning to work for weeks or months;
- Severe lacerations that can cause scars and disfigurements;
- Amputations or loss of limbs;
In addition to physical injuries, mental trauma can also result from a car crash. This trauma may make it difficult or impossible for you to ride in a car or enjoy the activities you were accustomed to enjoying. When these physical and/or mental injuries are caused by the negligent or reckless actions of another, that reckless or careless individual may be held responsible for the expenses and losses suffered by the injury victim. This includes expenses and losses such as:
- Past and future medical bills and expenses, including therapy costs and rehabilitative services expenses;
- Prescription drug costs and the costs of medical devices such as wheelchairs, canes, and other similar devices;
- Lost wages due to time missed from work and time that the victim is likely to miss in the future;
- Lost earnings due to the victim needing to take a less-demanding job due to his or her temporary or permanent disabilities;
- Mental suffering, embarrassment, and loss of enjoyment of life.
Common Causes Of Puyallup Car Wrecks
It is a misnomer to label many Puyallup car collisions as “accidents” because the term “accident” connotes an occurrence that cannot be foreseen and cannot be prevented. Many collisions, however, are the result of one or more individuals’ negligent or reckless behavior. This means that not only are many collisions the foreseeable result of drivers’ choices, but many collisions are also avoidable if the negligent or reckless drivers responsible for the crash had only been more careful and had not:
- Texted while they were driving or drive while they were distracted;
- Driven without getting an adequate amount of sleep the previous day or night;
- Consumed alcohol and/or drugs before getting behind the wheel;
- Disregarded stop signs, traffic lights, and/or traffic laws and the “rules of the road”;
- Engaged in other careless or reckless behavior.
A driver who causes an injury crash or fatality crash because he or she was driving in a careless or negligent manner may be determined to be responsible for the expenses, losses, and harm suffered by the injured party (or the surviving family members of a fatality victim). If a court determines that the evidence shows it is more likely than not true that the at-fault driver’s negligence caused or contributed to the injury victim’s losses, expenses, and harm.
We are Here to Help
What to Do After a Puyallup Collision
Your health and safety must be the primary consideration in the moments immediately following a car wreck in Puyallup. If your car can be safety operated, move the vehicle to a safe location at the side of the road or in a nearby parking lot (do not, however, drive too far from the scene of the crash as this may be considered a criminal offense). Unless you are absolutely certain you did not suffer any serious injuries, emergency medical assistance should be summoned by calling 911. Do not move if you suspect you have suffered a head or spine injury unless you are in imminent danger: moving your head or back after suffering an injury without stabilizing these body parts can exacerbate any injury and may result in paralysis and/or pain.
Assuming you are able to do so safely, you can take steps to protect your legal rights by:
- Obtaining the contact information and insurance information of any other driver at the scene who was involved in the crash;
- Obtaining the names and contact information of witnesses who may be present at the scene and indicate they either saw the crash as it occurred or spoke with you or other involved parties after the crash;
- Taking photographs with your smartphone or camera phone of the accident scene. Take a variety of pictures of the scene of the accident, the location of the vehicles involved, the damage to all vehicles, and your injuries.
We Know How to Recover Damages
Finally, contact the Puyallup legal team at Khan Injury Law, PLLC as soon as possible. Our firm will evaluate your case and help you identify the party or parties responsible for causing your wreck. Our zealous and dedicated advocates will guide you through all stages of the recovery process, from the filing of your claim to the conclusion of your case. Contact us today to discuss your case by calling (206) 472-1255 or by completing our firm’s online contact form.