Tukwila Bicycle Accident Lawyer
While Tukwila may be known as a bike-friendly city in Washington, complete with trails, scenery, and drivers who are aware that bikers are out and about, bicycle accidents still happen. To be sure, the Washington State Department of Transportation reported that in a single year in the state, there were nearly 1,500 bicyclist-involved in fatal or injury collisions. While biking may be a great way to get some exercise and enjoy the outdoors, there’s no doubt that biking can be dangerous. If you’re a cyclist in Tukwila, understanding basic bike safety information, using hand signals, and always wearing a helmet are essential – if you’re involved in a crash, our Tukwila bicycle accident lawyers are here to help you.
How Bicycle Accidents Happen
Bicycle accidents typically happen because the driver simply doesn’t see a bicyclist. This may be a result of looking left when making a right-hand turn, running into a cyclist on the driver’s right; texting while driving or engaging in another form of distracted driving; or because a cyclist is not where they are supposed to be or does not have proper lighting on their bike.
Of course, there are other types of negligence that lead to bicycle accidents, too, including drunk and impaired driving, speeding, failing to yield, running red lights and stop signs, and driving aggressively. Things like poor road conditions or defective traffic lights can also contribute to a crash.
The truth is, though, the vast majority of bicycle accidents–if not all bicycle accidents–are completely preventable. If you are involved in a bicycle accident in Tukwila, you deserve to be compensated for the full extent of your harm.
Common Bicyclist Injuries and Damages
Bicyclists are at risk for serious injuries when they are involved in a crash, in large part because it is a cyclist’s body–rather than a motor vehicle–that absorbs that majority of force when a crash occurs. A cyclist may be thrown from their bike, pinned between a car and the road or another object, or stuck with such force that they suffer immediate death. When death does not occur, some of the most common injuries to affect a cyclist involved in a motor vehicle collision include:
- Traumatic brain injuries – these injuries are more common, and often fatal, when a cyclist is not wearing an approved helmet at the time of collision;
- Spinal cord injuries – which can result in permanent and complete paralysis
Road burn and road rash injuries – these injuries can be painful, disfiguring, and run the risk of infection;
- Bone fracture injuries – elbow and clavicle fracture are especially common;
- Internal injuries – a rib can puncture a lung, for example, or an organ may bleed as a result of force; and
- Soft tissue injuries – including muscle and ligament sprains and strains.
The injuries that a cyclist may potentially suffer are great. These injuries contribute to the overall cost of a bicycle accident. Our lawyers will help you recover compensation for the full value of losses you have suffered, including compensation for:
- Economic losses, such as medical expenses, lost wages, property damage costs, long-term care costs, rehabilitation, and any other financial losses; and
- Noneconomic losses, including the value of your pain, suffering, and emotional distress.
Who Pays for Damages After a Bicycle Accident?
When a bicycle accident occurs, the fault of all parties must be considered in determining who will pay for damages. This is because Washington is a comparative negligence state, and as such, each party is financially responsible for damages that result from their proportion of fault. For example, if a motor vehicle and a bicycle collide and an investigation finds that the driver of the car was 90 percent to blame and the cyclist was 10 percent to blame, the driver will only be responsible for 90 percent of the cyclist’s damages.
Our lawyers will help you to determine fault for your accident so that you can bring forth your claim quickly and efficiently. We will also explore all potential sources of recovery, including the at-fault driver’s liability insurance policy, your own insurance coverage, and more.
Important Evidence for Your Bicycle Accident Claim
In order to prove fault and prove damages, you’ll need to submit a variety of different evidence types to an insurance company. Our lawyers will handle the evidence-recovery process on your behalf, managing all elements of an investigation and hiring experts to gather evidence, too. Important types of evidence that can have a big impact on the outcome of your bicycle accident claim, and which we will seek to gather as early as possible, including:
- Police reports;
- Photos of the accident scene;
- Eyewitnesses’ statements;
- Photos of damage to your bicycle, your helmet, the motor vehicle, and any surrounding
- objects involved;
- Photos of your injuries;
- Doctors’ and hospital reports;
- Any video camera footage that exists;
- A statement from the other driver; and
- Any other relevant evidence types.
We will also talk to your friends and family to learn more about the noneconomic damages you’ve suffered, such as a diminished value in the quality of your life after the accident.
How Our Tukwila Bicycle Accident Lawyers Can Help
Our lawyers are passionate about representing Tukwila bicycle accident victims. When you call our law firm, you can count on our services from start to finish. Our objective is to maximize the settlement amount you receive. We help you by:
- Offering you a free, no-obligation consultation;
- Answering all of your legal questions;
- Remaining available and accessible throughout the claims process;
- Investigating your accident;
- Calculating your damages;
- Identifying the liable party;
- Issuing a demand letter;
- Negotiating your settlement; and
- Exploring dispute resolution options, including litigation.
Call Our Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Tukwila Today
If you’ve been in a bicycle accident, or have lost a loved one in a bicycle crash, you are not alone. For a free consultation with lawyers who really care about you, contact our experienced Tukwila bicycle accident lawyers today. We will work hard for you, and always prioritize your best interests. Reach us by phone or online to get started.